Libby Heller doesn’t speak Creole, but she had no trouble communicating with a young Haitian girl on the other side of a soccer field. Continue reading
Haiti’s president said on Friday that sexual misconduct by staff of British charity Oxfam was only the tip of an “iceberg” and called for investigations into Doctors Without Borders and other aid organizations which came to the country after its 2010 earthquake.
Penn is a two-time Academy Award-winning actor and the founder of J/P Haitian Relief Organization.
Editor’s Note: This post contains explicit language.
A group of Haitian-American diplomats working for the State Department have written an open letter expressing their frustration with comments by President Donald Trump that the United States should limit the number of immigrants accepted from Haiti and “shithole countries” in Africa.
- The President called the country of their origin a shithole. They know it as a beautiful if beleaguered island from which hard-working, uncomplaining immigrants come to the U.S. to build on the American dream
- ‘We are some of the strongest people on earth. To win our independence and help other Caribbean islands get their freedom? Dealing with hurricanes and earthquakes. It shows our grit.’
- ‘There are amazing Haitians in America who are assets to this country, who are helping both countries with hard work and charity.’
- ‘It hurts to be judged by ignorance.’
- ‘Why not use your gift to make the world a better place? Where’s the love?’
Pastor Maromy Samuel does not want members of his East Nashville congregation to uproot their lives and leave the U.S. Continue reading